- Combustion and fire protection, including soot formation and oxidation, laminar diffusion flames, premixed flames, microgravity combustion, hydrogen flames, vehicle fires, firefighter safety, and diagnostics development.
- 1995 Ph.D., Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- 1994 M.S., Aerospace Engineering, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
- 1986 M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Massachusetts, Amherst.
- 1983 B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Cornell University, Ithaca
Honors and Awards
- Best-Paper Award, Sixth International Seminar on Fire and Explosion Hazards, 2010.
- Faculty Early Career Award, NSF, 2010.
- Ralph H. Isbrandt Automotive Safety Engineering Award, SAE, 2008.
- E. Robert Kent Junior Faculty Teaching Award, College of Engineering, University of Maryland, 2008.
- Excellence in Oral Presentation, SAE World Congress, Detroit, 2007.
- Best-Paper Award, Northern Ohio Section of AIAA, 2003.
- Mentor of the Year, NASA Glenn Research Center, 1999.
- Best-Paper Award, Combustion Institute Central States Meeting, 1996.
- American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Associate Fellow.
- American Society for Engineering Education, Member.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Member.
- Combustion Institute, Member.
- International Association for Fire Safety Science, Member.
- Salamander Fire Protection Engineering Honor Society, Honorary Member.
- SAE International, Member.
- Sigma Gamma Tau Aerospace Engineering Honor Society, Member.
- Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society, Member.
- Society of Fire Protection Engineers, Affiliate Member.
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society, Member.